Monday, July 21, 2008

Birdhouse Construction

I've been busy creating birdhouses. I checked pricing on PVC and wood to see which would be the most cost efficient material for small-scale use. It seems to be about equal, unless one uses a PVC twist top as a cleanout which tend to push the cost a little higher.

I'm sure most people already own the tools to assemble birdhouses but I did not. Fortunately, the materials I needed were not expensive: 20$ for a low-end jigsaw, 10$ for a set of spade bits (to drill entrance holes), 6$ per 12" clamp (very nice to have for holding wood pieces together). The biggest surprise for me was the cost of screws! Granted it's still not much, but it seems like these little pieces of metal must involve a lot more engineering and machining than I had imagined.

As far as mounting options, I've found 7' poles at garden departments for around 10$, 6' "light duty" metal posts for around 5$, and wooden posts for free in neighborhood yards (it seems that people often pile unwanted wood and tree limbs near the street after a storm). For predator guards, I originally intended to use metal stovepipe. However, an inverted plastic bucket with the handle removed seems to be the winner in the low-cost department.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I applaud you for making your own birdhouses and finding ways to cut costs. Be sure to check the specifications for the type of bird you are trying to attract. For instance, bluebirds prefer, and offspring survive at a higher rate when they have certain kinds of homes. Check out this site for specs: http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/nestboxplans.htm .
For those of us who can't build their own houses this site has a good selection: http://www.casualdeckandpatio.com/products/birdhouses.shtml