Tuesday, July 1, 2008

No more digital stealth cams for me

I've been able to test a low-end, digital stealth cam (Wildview 2MP) under a variety of conditions... The results are as follows: It works pretty well for me in daylight conditions, and the camera performs quite horribly after the sun goes down. Anything close to the camera after dark is so washed out it's not visible and anything in the background is almost colorless and distorted. In the dozen or so animals that should have been caught on film, none of them were really visible. The camera also appears to fire randomly both day and night, but the night pictures are so bad it's possible there is something there, who knows? It might be sort of ok for large animals that can be seen from a distance, but the camera is more or less useless for small mammals that need filmed at close range.

I don't like having to take the 35mm MC2 in for rewinding and paying for film development, but it's less expensive, and at least for me, takes a much, much higher quality photo. I've learned my lesson regarding cheapie digital cams, and there is no way I am leaving a 300$ item in a wood. 35mm processing fees for good quality photos and a 50$ device are still the best way to go for me.

No comments: